For too long now I have had visions of patterns I want to make, yet done nothing about them. The images pop into my head as I am about to fall asleep, and I think Yep this is amazing, must bring that to fruition somehow. Into my notebook I scrawl messages like ‘please to your bees’, ‘flock a duck’, and ‘lobster gladioli’ (yes really). Sometimes a title idea alone is enough to propel me into a mental planning frenzy. But with no resulting work, until now.
At long last I got over my pattern stage-fright and here is the photo-story of my first attempt, a bumblebee pattern. I printed a hexagon (honeycomb) graph paper from the kids’ site activityvillage.co.uk, and got doodling. Once I had something to work with I scanned and printed it out, photocopied it and cut out the tiles.
Then I started new outlines on fresh paper and a clear idea of what I wanted to make.
… And started adding black.
Here is how it looked as a tile before filling the final areas in black.
Close up of the finished drawing.I then had to teach myself some Illustrator skills to get it into a printable state. What a learning curve this has been, and so rewarding. Been seeing stripes for days!
Ta-da! One print done onto thick card, soon to become notebook covers.